The VLC team have finally released their popular media player for Windows 8.1 device. The player works with a wide range of media formats, streams and discs. The latest app features completely new design, huge performance improvements and its now more stable compared to previous versions.
Here’s a list of changes bundled in the 0.1.0 beta release:
- Now using libVLC 2.2.0 core
- Redesigned interface
- Huge performance improvements
- Use of Winsock for networking instead of WinRTsock
- Implemented Windows 8.1 widgets support
- Moved interface code to Universal to prepare Windows Phone 8.1 port
The VLC team notes that while this release is still x86-only, they have made great advances on the ARM port. There’s still no release date for the Windows Phone port.